Rolling Readers and the Read-Aloud volunteers who visit the classrooms each week are well aware of the devastating statistics surrounding children and reading.
With hundreds of stories being read each week, and thousands of books being distributed each year, Rolling Readers is committed to creating change in the field of early literacy.
The value of Read-Alouds and the need for Rolling Readers programs is clear:
- 61 percent of low-income families have no books at all in their homes for their children.
- The only behavior measure that correlates significantly with reading scores is the number of books in the home.
- Children in families with incomes below the poverty line are less likely to be read aloud to everyday than are children in families with incomes at or above the poverty line.
- The top achieving 5% of students read 144x more than the lowest achieving 5% of students.
- 73% of San Diego 4th Graders are not proficient in English.
- 60% of San Diego children live at, or below the poverty line.
Volunteer Today to make a difference.
Click here to email Volunteer Representative.